Hi,

I like some of the concepts of Montessori, such as individualized pacing and the school setting being organized with materials that all have a point to them.

We tried a montessori at the age of 14 months (for 3-7 year olds this school is the most well regarded in our area) and it was terrible for that age, a small room with a few objects laid out where the children were just expected to "learn" something on their own by being truly ignored by the staff. The concept of "self-motivated exploration" gone wrong. The montessori philosophy was just a grandiose excuse for ignoring the kids. They even applied this to the infants where before they could reach for things or sit up they were just left to lie unhappy on the ground for long periods. The school ended their under-2 program not long after our short trial of it, so I think their directors realized also that it wasn't working.

My one experience with their program for 2s or it may have been 3s was a sneak look I got at the program when one teacher didn't realize I was watching. The kids were outdoors playing on play equipment for about 45 minutes, I was in the adjacent parking lot in my car waiting for DS to wake up from his nap before I took him into the infant/toddler room. The kids looked happy enough. The 3-5 year olds' teacher didn't realize I was there. She was on her cell the entire time, laughing, chatting etc, not involved with the kids in any way. My DS woke from his nap and I carried him up past her, as soon as she noticed me she put the phone behind her back and said in a voice made loud so that I would hear, "look children, look at the leaves, its fall and the leaves are falling...". A little show put on just for my benefit.

Its really tough to know how teachers behave with kids when you aren't there to watch, in any type of program, unless your child is old enough to really get into detail about what they did that day. The montessori philosophy especially can be so vague that I think that lazy teachers may find they get away with doing very little in a montessori, where in a traditional program they might be expected to send home a craft with each child, do a circle time each day, etc, keeping them actually doing something.

At the age when kids can act as reporters on their teachers then I think Montessori is a safer option. Perhaps next year when DS is 3 and could be in a mixed 3-5 classroom we'll consider it again.

My concerns at the 3-5 and kindergarten age are just as others have said, will he be made to use the materials only in the way he is "supposed" to. Will he be made to finish every activity and will he have to complete everything in the ordained order. Will his already perfectionistic tendencies be heightened by the teachers emphasizing not spilling, etc.

Polly