Thank you guys! I love the Montessori concept so much and could see how it would work really well if only they were experienced with educating gifted children. I think I'm going to take them up on all of their observation visits, get some ideas, and use them at home while I hs!

I learned so much today, but I kept thinking, "oh, that would drive ds nuts!" Most of those times I was thinking that the elementary classroom would be a better fit. My son is very sensitive (like many here) to being expected to do "baby work." It's insulting to him. The teachers are also very syrupy sweet and speak that way all the time, and I could see my ds thinking that's ridiculous. He doesn't like baby talk, and it sort of comes off as condescending. Having a coversation with him is like talking to an another adult most of the time.

He would abolutely love the independence and the ability to move around the room and talk as needed. He thinks aloud. I didn't realize they were so rigid with the step-by-step processes, though. I think my ds would have a hard time with that. He'd lose interest very quickly, and I don't want a repeat of what we just went through. I sure don't want to get locked in to paying thousands of dollars for something that has a high likelihood of not working.

Montessori is fascinating to me though b/c I've never seen this type of setting. All of my experience is with traditional public or private schools, and those are definitely not a good fit for my ds. Part of my problem is that I (even more than my ds) am missing the social connection of the other school, not to mention my job! I really need to find a way to connect with others though a homeschool coop or something similar, but that is so far from something I'd normally join. Of course, I also said I'd never homeschool, right? ; )

Thanks again for all for the advice and for sharing your experiences. I LOVE this forum!