Hi Jennie72,

That`s really interesting about your boys. DS10 was diagnosed by an OT as having sensory processing disorder when he was 4 (underactive vestibular system and liked to walk in circles, spin around, crash into things, etc). He is also oversensitive to light touch on his face and head (hair brushing, kisses . . ). I did the Wilburger protocol (brushing and joint compressions) and tried to have a healthy 'sensory diet' at home. He calmed down alot by age 6 and I stopped worrying about this too much, but maybe its time to revisit . I had his auditory processing tested this spring at the same time as the WISC IV. The report was pretty vague but he was average in most things, with a bit below average at hearing in noise. I`ve noticed he also has trouble locating sounds.

My DS6 has motor dyspraxia and the opposite sensory profile of his brother (adverse to swings and slides, very much an observer). He is doing OT for motor skills. I don`t worry so much about him because he is happy at school and doesn't have the emotional and behaviour problems of his big brother.

I agree that DS10 might be poorly matched with his teacher. She puts great emphasis on organization (not his strong point) and doesn`t seem to see his gifts like his previous teacher did. Unfortunately, in a Montessori school they stay with the same teacher for 3 years. I was seriously considering regular public school, but wonder if he might not be happy there either . . . at least at Montessori they have a small class size and children can work at their own pace. I`m hoping if I can explain my son`s issues clearly to her, things might improve next year.

He is also meeting with a psychologist in a couple of weeks and we are going to talk to him for the first time about his gifts and weaknesses, and how even though he is really smart, he might find some things harder than other kids. I`m hoping that talking about this might help him change his attitude towards school and I think it might be better if he hears this from someone other than me.