Originally Posted by TwinkleToes
:-( UGH Do public schools ever let kids skip K if they are five?

Our SD has a policy that allows kids to early-entrance K if they turn 5 by the end of November, and DS skipped K when he was 5.5, but all you can do is ask. I would think you'd want to be armed with quantifiable evidence that your DD does well on both achievement and ability measures, though, since it's usually a knee-jerk reaction to say no to a request like yours. But, if you can show that DD is really, truly, quanitifiably several years ahead and has the abilities to remain so, maybe you could convince them to break the rules. I'm so sorry the school is being so inflexible with you! It's so frustrating!

Originally Posted by TwinkleToes
The Pre-K she is going to is just a few hours a few days a week and I am getting to the point where I cannot be home with her full time anymore. Her intensity, level of talking and singing, argumentativeness, emotional intensity, and energy level, alongside her two year old sister, is too much for 14 straight hours a day with one person esp. since I am dealing with a health issue that is sapping my energy. I was hoping the five day a week mornings at K might help direct her energy and help her mom catch her breath. My DH travels all the time and I have no help, and there isn't much available for daycare, so this was the easiest option for us even if K level work is still too easy for her. I'm disappointed.

Is there, perhaps, a homeschooled preteen or teenager or maybe even a college student who might be willing to come "play" with DD several days a week? They could do all kinds of fun things that could take the place of preschool and give you a break. Also, surely it would cost less than a preschool that isn't meeting her needs anyway. Also, what about signing her up for classes that you don't have to be a part of yourself, like gymnastics, dance, martial arts, etc. just to expend her energy, give you a break, expose her to other kids and teachers, and maybe even give her a chance to work on something non-academic that she may not immediately excel at. Or maybe a foreign language class?

She thought she could, so she did.