Wren, obviously this is a long ways off for you, but the transition to high school is compounded by the fact that many more new activities open up to them at that time. For example, D2 was able to start Quiz Bowl and Debate in 9th grade. So if they are already super-scheduled with stuff and don't want to give it up, they may miss out on some really good activities. My D1 just tried to stack the new stuff on top, and her grades really suffered. We finally stepped in spring of her 9th grade year and asked to her make some decisions to drop some things. She would have happily given up school and just done extracurricular activities if possible smile She even wrote one of her college essays about how painful those decisions were.

Also, if you have more than one child, it seems simple to sign up the oldest for a lot of activities. But then when any younger sibs get old enough, all of a sudden you have big logistical challenges getting everyone to their activities. I've never thought it was quite fair that the younger kids often get "drafted" into the same activities the older ones chose just because it is more convenient for the parents (and there is hand me down equipment!). If your oldest is not over scheduled, the younger ones have a better chance of finding their own interests and passions. Sometimes our youngest chose the same things anyway, of course. But sometimes not.