Originally Posted by deacongirl
OK I am afraid to sound stupid about testing but it is confusing. Is the Terra Nova CTBS a nationally normed achievement test?

There are no stupid questions!
I found this link: http://www.ctb.com/ctb.com/control/productFamilyViewAction?productFamilyId=449&p=products

and from what I read, it is definitely an achievement test, delivered by paper and pencil. It appears to be nationally normed because they say
It is the only test to feature 2007 norms, helping to accurately and reliably measure student progress relative to your state standards and predict student performance on your state standardized test.

It's great that she did 99th percentile compared to agemates. Taking the Explore to see how she does next to other 'top 5%' kids is a great next step. Apparently there are kids who score at the 99th percentile of things that they have been taught and exposed to who are being well accomidated right at the level where they are - while other kids who only scored 97th percentile do much better than the average gifted kid when exposed to material that is 'above-level' and this is felt to be an indication that they need classroom modifications.

It's ok to feel guilty about not doing more - we pretty much all do! And you do have rather more than average amount of parental responsibility here, no? Part of being gifted ourselves is that vivid imagination that can imagine that we have more time, energy and bravery than we actually do - and make it feel so convincing. Anyway, the only thing you can change is what you do today. It's also OK to not know where or when you are moving. It's easier to consider and prepare for the future than it is to take a cold look at today.

When you say that
My experience of not having to make an effort has not served me well in life and I don't want that for her!
I cheer! You have a vision of what you'd like - that's the first step.

Asking for change - like you did with the spelling - that's the second step!

Third step is to monitor if the change is helping to achieve the goal. That's where you need to go the extra mile. I would encourage you to ask for a meeting now to review the steps that were taken and your evaluation of the steps so that everyone starts the year on the same page, and is willing to start taking further steps and continue to evaluate if the steps are achieveing the desired result.

You are so close DeaconGirl! I would suggest that you do some journaling or brainstorming and figure out possible ways to get the challenge now - and then ask for them. The spelling seems like a great place to start. The more the teachers see that the more advanced work suits your daughter, the more they will be willing to do in the future.

Love and More Love,
Grintiy

Last edited by Grinity; 07/06/10 01:01 PM.

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com