Originally Posted by Kriston
Hmmm, the thing is that he is *not* good at getting info from listening. Unless he repeats what he is told, it goes in one ear and out the other.

In the example above, did you specifically go over identification of vowels in the course of the explaination? Did you check if he knew which ones are vowels before you started your explaination? I'm having difficulty following the example, but I do think you are on to something. Some people are willing to try and follow a big explaination when they lack one of the building block pieces, and hope to fill it in later, others throw a fit if they can't follow everything logically from their current knowledge base. I'm one of the former, more of a bird's eye viewer of things, while my DH is totally the latter.

Maybe he is someone who learns by talking - which would explain why he interrupts when being read to. Over the years I've heard some people talking about Briggs Myers Type Indicator Extraverts say:

An Extravert isn't thinking unless their mouth is moving.

I find this to be true of me (if you include typing as well, that is)
I find it a little strange to 'have a discussion' with my Intravert husband, because by the time he starts talking, he will have a fully formed opinion, while I just won't until I've 'tried on' a few positions and spoken from a few varying perspectives. I sort of make up my mind 'as I talk.'

I've also heard Howard Gardner's information -
from Wiki:
Interpersonal
This area has to do with interaction with others. In theory, people who have a high interpersonal intelligence tend to be extroverts, characterized by their sensitivity to others' moods, feelings, temperaments and motivations, and their ability to cooperate in order to work as part of a group. They communicate effectively and empathize easily with others, and may be either leaders or followers. They typically learn best by working with others and often enjoy discussion and debate.

Careers that suit those with this intelligence include sales, politicians, managers, teachers, and social workers.[

I've heard this group described as 'needing frequest breaks to talk to someone about what they are learning in order to process their thoughts.'

Glad you like the PVC idea - it's from Ruth Culham

6 + 1 Traits of Writing: The Complete Guide: Grades 3 & Up: Everything You Need to Teach and Assess Student Writing with This Powerful Model

I really enjoyed that book.

I'm wondering if you have to plan for your son to be able to have more 'give and take' in his casual learning. My son certianly seemed like an extravert as a child, and I'm that way, so when I used to teach him stuff casually, it always sounded like a 'call and response' church service.

DS: Mom why is X?
Me: Why do you think?
DS: Because Y and Z and also M.
Me: Why do you think X is realated to Y (and so on, to a degree that will probably make the intraverts squirm...)

It might be worth a try, just to see, if next time your son asks a question, you start with asking him lots of questions about what he already knows, and then when you get to having to provide new information, starting with leading questions that provide an analogy to what you are about to introduce.

HTH,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com