He actually seems to be a visual learner. His WISC scores indicate that he's stronger in Perceptual Reasoning, which tracks with his talents at chess, piano and math, so that makes sense to me. This is why we've been so completely flummoxed by what have appeared to be visual problems. For a while it seemed that we had a visual learner who couldn't see well. Now I'm not so sure...

If he *sees* fine, but he can't "hear what he sees," so to speak, it might make sense. A friend here on the forum had suggested APD might fit, and I'm leaning that way.

I wouldn't say that he learns better by listening, actually, no. Now that I think of it, when I give oral directions, I make him repeat them so that he *says them aloud*--!!!

shocked

Wow! Anyone else starting to sense a pattern?!

I'm not sure we have IDd the correct cause, but I think we have at least managed to isolate what exactly he is (and *I* am) doing to compensate for whatever he's got going on. That's a really big step forward, I suspect.

Anyone else have other thoughts? Talking about this here and answering questions about what I'm seeing feels really helpful to me!

Thanks!

Kriston