Hi,

It is really difficult to say whether the numbers that you are getting back are really an accurate reflection or not. I dont know, what others think, but I do feel that the SB 5 probably in general underscores compares to WISC especially for more verbal kids. That is not to say it happens in every case, because there are definitely posters on this board who have had children do better on SB 5 than WISC 4, but I think it is more true than not.

To give you some perspective on your dd's test scores, I think Dr Ruf who only tests using SB 5, argues that the cut off for gifted programs using the SB 5 should be 120.

As Dottie rightly says, your dd could have had a bad test day, the tester may not have been the best etc. And I think those are things to bare in mind. Dont presume the numbers are entirely accurate, it is an IQ test and they have their own failings. What you see with your child and her needs is the most accurate score.

Purely anecdotally, I do have friends whose children pulled in 120s / mid 130s on SB 5 and their children are two to three to four years above themselves in maths. I dont have any friends with a nine year old in that score doing Alegbra I but definitely I have seen one hitting 6th grade. I do have a few friends whose children are 10 and are in Alegbra I and II. Maths though, I am not so sure is really a reliable indicator, as it is a circular subject, so you can get in the right environment big leaps in grades, if a child is great at remembering maths facts etc. To compare, the kids that I know that are pulling in mid 140s into 150s on SB 5, are different again and move through maths as well as other subjects material more rapidly.

Anyway, like Dandy says, maybe it is worth retesting using WISC?

If though your dd's needs are met at the new Charter School, I would agree with Dottie and forget any more IQ tests and instead look to do SATs or similar tests in the future.

HTH!