Originally Posted by Zia's Mom
I do have a question though. Is it common for students with different level belts to train in the same class and on the same material? As someone not familiar with TKD, this part seems so strange to me. And if skipping belts is taboo, do most studios have a waiting period between testing?

Our school allows students to progress to the next belt level if they meet certain minimum requirements. This usually includes things like attendance at the dojang, good grades at school (!), and a certain level of proficiency with the curriculum taught. The standards required usually depend on the individual's aptitude for TKD. Our dojang includes disabled kids who are allowed to progress through the belt levels. None of the students are considered to have "mastered" the curriculum, anyway. There is always something to be learned--techniques to be refined, performance to be polished in terms of rhythm, focus, power, etc. In that way, it is not really like learning a set of math facts.

Our school has tip tests every week. You earn a piece of colored tape for your belt for the part of the curriculum that was taught that week. When you have collected 4 tips, you are eligible for testing. There is a belt test every month for those who are ready.

I hope it helps to give you an idea of how our dojang does things.

Cathy