Zia's Mom,

I am a first degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do. I have been doing TKD for 14 years. I would be very surprised if you talk them into letting him test sooner or skip belt levels!

I understand what you mean about the cost. Are you planning to have him continue until he achieves a black belt or just until he loses interest (I haven't lost interest yet smile )

At my current dojang, there is a Demo Team. The strongest students (of all ages) are invited to join the demo team. This has the benefit of providing them with extra challenge and instruction and is great advertising for the school. If your school doesn't have a demo team, you could suggest that they start one...

There is also a leadership class (by invitation only.) Strong students are invited to learn how to instruct others in TKD. This builds self-confidence in public speaking, too.

Another option is to look at TKD competitions. This does not need to be sparring. Your son could compete at his age and belt level in forms. This is a way for him to get recognition for his efforts even if he doesn't get to take the belt test right away.

I love martial arts! I'm glad your son is enjoying TKD smile

Cathy