Hi Zia,

My dd started taking TKD when she was about 4 1/2. Just like your son, forms and techniques came easy for her. She tested for her next level belt almost immediately after joining and passed it with flying colors. By the age of seven she was the youngest advanced belt in the school.

Her school had a three month rule. Kids (and adults) had to wait at least 3 months between tests (six months for advanced belts). I feel this waiting was actually good for her. It teaches patience and also lets them enjoy the steps they are taking towards their black belt.

I actually felt that the school was moving her too fast. After all, even though mentally they can memorize all the curriculum, physically they will have limitations being so small and utimatelly sparring with older, bigger kids.

TKD is about much more then belt colors. My DD learned about respect, patience and perseverance. If he has a good instructor he won't get bored or discouraged.

Even now, when she is struggling with some new skill, I remind her of how long it took to get from white belt to her advanced belt. I use this lesson to show her that steps cannot be skipped and that practice is necessary to get better at any endevour. If he moves too fast, he will miss out on this.

Just my opinion.