Thanks Bianc and Cathy,
Really great information and points to consider. I am starting to calm down a bit from my initial reaction and looking at the big picture.

I just felt so frustrated that the age issue was coming up again in something that I thought was very individualized and it hurt me to see him work so hard and to be let down. But as I mentioned earlier, he is not fazed in the least, so that says a lot. Maybe we will let it sit for a while and see how things progress.

I do have a question though. Is it common for students with different level belts to train in the same class and on the same material? As someone not familiar with TKD, this part seems so strange to me. And if skipping belts is taboo, do most studios have a waiting period between testing?

I do love the notion that he can be recognized for his accomplishment in other ways beside the belt. Our concern really is for the accomplishment recognition. For whatever reason the focus at this particular studio seems to be totally on belts and the next testing cycle. Maybe we will talk to his instructor and get his input in other ways to recognize his hard work. I see some children with stars but in the months our son has been going we have never seen a star awarded.

Thanks again for sharing your stories.

Last edited by Zia's Mom; 01/22/08 06:31 PM.