I was very sad after reading the original post. Angry. Then sad some more. It is very disappointing. Sad.

Originally Posted by Taminy
Originally Posted by inky
Hope the gifted girls in this teacher's class who hide their abilities and learn to blend in have PITA parents. This teacher's attitude seems to foster learned underachievement - no need to do anything unless the child is causing trouble. And when the parents pay for outside testing to show the children need something more, the psychologists are dismissed as "money grabbing professionals." frown mad
http://www.aboutourkids.org/articles/gifted_girls_many_gifted_girls_few_eminent_women_why

Well said! This is the story of DD's school experience, and as I've watched this happen, I am shamed by the realization that there are too many times that I employed diplomacy when I really should have just moved into PITA mode.

Yes, girls are forgotten.

It seems, as I've talked to a few different schools now, that as soon as I mention "advance learner" and that we have a psyc assessment ... some thing happens. I immediately get comments/push back -- oh yeah, sure... let's see.

Culturally, I think in the rest of the world, if you can afford it, you would hot house your kid. The competition is so high and the population so large. How many people would be in the 99.99 percentile for some of these countries? It is survival, yes?

Anyways, I digress.

This teacher's attitude... I mean I think being honest about how they really feel is a good step. Because, it is true. There are a lot of teachers that probably feel this way and who can blame them if there are a lot of parents out there who think their little sweetie-pie angel is perfect and awesome.

I wish every teacher did speak their mind. And then listened. Hear the 1% of parents who do have a gifted child and who are also struggling to understand what their kids are capable of and have a partnership.

I live in an ideal world and none of this is realistic. This is way too sad.

But for everyone, we all just want someone to understand and to hear and "see" us. See our children. See them for who they are and don't bring your hang-ups with the parent to your assessment/judgement.