When I read this post, I got a little upset so I was glad to see the other posts below it....if my child was in this poster's class, he would have probably missed getting his needs met....

and "Third ...as a teacher and this drives me to distraction, there are parents that focus on the "gifted" side and want extension and push and whinge and carry on and are general PITA (sorry- I have been teaching a LONG time) yet their child can't catch a ball or make a friend or write a sentence that is legible - which gets ignored"....

...this comment just bothers me....it has been studied and found that you need to FOCUS on a child's strengths all while building up their low points- not the other way around...you don't go in and focus on their flaws and build those up all in the event of ignoring their strengths. My DS7 has dyspraxia and can't throw a ball very well or write very well either and we have been told by his OT that he probably never will do either very well and he has been getting OT for YEARS...so because he can't throw a ball, has trouble with handwriting and will need to type most of his work and reads at a 5th grade level, does that mean we shouldn't be advocating for the teacher to allow him to work at his academic level all because he can't throw a ball and write?

Last edited by Belle; 04/08/10 08:17 AM.