We're big fans of surrounding ourselves with interesting stuff to learn and then picking what we're in the mood for. It's a pretty effective strategy for a lot of HG+ kids, I think. I think that's smart of you.

Your DS is 7. Mine is 8. Academic skills will come for them. I regularly remind myself that this is a marathon, not a sprint. DS doesn't have to master every school skill right *now*. He just needs to learn and to enjoy learning. Especially the first year of homeschooling.

Unless you plan to put him back in a traditional school next year, don't worry so much about academic skills. Make sure he's enjoying what he's doing--and by that, I do not mean that everything is a game or that you're entertaining him; I mean that he's invested in learning and that you're not having to yell at him--and that he's finding some challenge.

When we were potty-training DS and having typical ups and downs, a very smart person told me that when you get stressed over these sorts of things, you have to remind yourself that your child will not go to college in a diaper. I think the same logic should apply to academic skills. If he were 14 and resisting doing work that wasn't appealing to him, that's something to worry about. But at 7? I think he's not going to go to college in a diaper. wink

Kriston