Originally Posted by MegMeg
Originally Posted by jojo
Deborah Ruf says that physical milestones are mostly irrelevant to giftedness

I wonder about this. The more I read this board, the more clear it seems that there are lots of different ways to be gifted, and probably lots of different neurological causes. So if you average over all the kids, some things may wash out, statistically speaking.

But I've seen enough comments here from parents whose gifted kids were physically advanced as babies, I do think there may be something to it. Maybe a subset of gifted kids have some kind of global neurological advancement (early myelination, maybe?) that causes both physical and cognitive advancement.

DANG, I really want to do some research on this!

You know, I'm glad you mentioned this. I didn't want to "ruffle feathers" on the first day smile but I don't tend to agree and there is other research to refute that as well (I know I should dig it up before opening my mouth...maybe another day I can get the links :)). My daughter has met every milestone, physical, social, verbal, etc more than 30% in advance of her age peers. How can it be that they are not related? Did you have the same experience?