Originally Posted by Katelyn'sM om
Your daughter sounds wonderful and very much like mine at that age, minus the potty training. smile I completely understand your frustration about being able to talk about your child. It was hard for me as well and I had to learn to just keep my mouth shut. When I did share I felt like I was being attacked or basically laughed at and told I had to be making things up. It is just easier not to share. The nice thing is now that DD is 3 1/2, I am able to share with some friends who also have gifted kids. Most of them are moderately gifted and are not as advanced as DD, but the moms recognize that and yet, they don't show jealousy. I just recently had a girls' night out with some of these moms and we talked about the kids of course, but nothing was trying to one up each other. It just feels good to be able to share what your child is doing, working on and know they too are finding their way with their own children. It wasn't anything I had when DD was a baby. My close friend of the time was competitive and childish and is no longer a friend of mine. Sometimes you have to know when to cut the strings and I finally did last summer. No longer am I dealing with the competitive conversations and having to watch what I shared so to spare her ... it just isn't worth it. This said, I still don't brag about DD or start a conversation about what she is doing. It is always the other moms encouraging me to share. I guess I have been burned too many times and just learned to keep my mouth shut, but am discovering there are moms out there that don't judge (at least to my face).

I'm so sorry to hear you lost a friend over this wonderful thing! Unfortunately I feel like my everyday friends are slipping away, so at least I know I'm not alone here. My best friend does not believe in "gifted" and thinks I need to ignore it and treat her like a baby. I'm on the other side of the fence where, if she is unhappy or bored, I need to recognize her strengths in order to keep her enriched and occupied and to ensure that we get her the most appropriate education possible. Ugh...so we are at odds and seem very uncomfortable around each other now.