Originally Posted by Catalana
There is no G/T anything until 4th grade here, a....he says he likes his small group although he still wishes he was learning more new stuff (for example they just started learning multiplication and division - circling groups, etc. and at home he is working on long division and multiplication). But it is a much better situation.

Cat

Sounds like a good first step! But I have to say, when the Principle said that she agreed that 'we' have to keep challenging him, I would have been hard pressed not to look incredulous and ask "Is grouping items to introduce division your idea of challenging a kid who is doing long division on his own time? I don't get it."

What do they offer the 4th graders (can he get subject accelerated into the 4th grade pull out program?)

You may want to order a copy of 'A Nation Deceived'and Iowa Acceleration Scale Manual to share with the Principal, since she seems interested in educational research.

In a way, full grade acceleration is less difficult on an immature kid than subject acceleration, because one doesn't have to use all those organizational skills to keep things moving. Every subject accel kid has to deal with arriving in an empty room once in a while because plans changes and no one told them - that takes a certain amount of maturity. Whole skips, OTOH, provide lots of role modeling of what kids in X grade are supposed to be like, and the peer pressure can help quite a bit.

Well, it is a long slow process, but the school is talking to you and that is the first step.

Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com