Everything about DS is so contradictory. It's hard to figure out. He doesn't respond to things the way other kids do, it takes a lot of working through the wherefores in order to actually solve things. So, on the one hand, I'm looking for advice. Things have not been all rosy, and it IS more than I can sort out alone. But on the other hand, sometimes asking the question winds up revealing something I didn't realize was unusual....

Eg: He's SOOOOOO sticky. You can't just give him another toy to get him not to play with the scissors. That stopped working before the verb "to give" really applied. You can't just hide something he shouldn't have. So far, it seems we just have to deal with the tantrum and tell him why you're doing what you're doing. But that means a lot of tantrums, and looooooooong ones. I'd love to have another solution... When he was about 6 mos old I got told kids that young don't have tantrums, and to change his diaper. Well. Suffice it to say he's ECd now, and he _is_ less miserable, but he still has just as many tantrums.

Sometimes I think people are telling jokes, and it turns out they were serious... it's hard to come back from that... people really notice it. (Like the thing about giving a baby a toy while you read a book so that they'll sit still and listen -- which doesn't seem like it's really got anything to do with the book, anyway... so I still don't get it)

<sigh> I've never been good at fitting in, and this phase of life is *not* easier!

<sigh>

did I mention <sigh>?

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!