I hope this helps, OHGrandma, but on achievement test given to agemates, the top 5% is quite indistinguishable. Some kids who score very high on IQ tests, score quite low or average at age level achievement tests for various reasons. That is why talent searches use test that are indended for older children - so that the scores can 'fan' that top 5%. Of course no one test score actually can tell a child's "True IQ" as if you could somehow check under their pinky toe and see what number they would score on their perfect day on a truly unbiased IQ test.

Long story shortened, I like to think of giftedness as a child having special educational needs that wouldn't tend to be met in a regular classroom, as a few special parenting tips. If the needs aren't being met, then there arise a whole ton of parenting challenges, as well. So I look at scores ONLY as a way to check if the changes I'm proposing to the usual learning plan are reasonable.

Sort of like two sisters who weight themselves. One notices that the scale is higher than usual, and is grateful for the early notice that she has to make a few changes in her habits. The other sister sees the same number and does a whole mind trip about her worth as a person, and regret for past actions. She hates to get on the scale, and hates the scale itself.

Love and More Love,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com