Originally Posted by Kriston
Originally Posted by Grinity
So, is returning to the public school, one year advanced, 'social suicide' as my son would put it?

This passage of your original post is what's standing out most to me. The real crux of the issue seems to me to be--far more than the academics--how realistic your DS is about his potential social life at each of the two schools.

Am I reading that right? Or is the academic level of public school of concern as well?

If I am reading you right, then I think it is your duty to make him as sure as he can be that he's not experiencing selective memory about public school.

(BTW, I just typo'd "pubic school," which would be a whole different problem!) laugh

Anyway, poke him and prod him and make sure he's sure...but if the social scene is really the big issue, then I think you do, ultimately, have to let him decide. He is the one who has to survive his social life.

If he chooses public school, then I'd start scoping out kids from public school who are in the grade he'll be joining next year. Anything to grease those social wheels.

Yes K!
You found the key.
The other worry is "will he fall apart, organizationally, without the special care that he is currently getting as a 'matter of course'" But that is something that can be dealt with as the time comes.

Problem is, I can't really figure out how to poke and prod productivly. My initial pokes have lead to growls. But I do like the playdate idea, and have one lead at leasts. Maybe I should insist on 3 good playdates with the recieving class before his is allowed to make the jump?

Thanks to all of you!
((thinking face))
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com