We pulled DS8 (then 6yo) out of 1st grade for homeschooling. He'd had K and 2 years of preschool, so he was used to going off to school. But he was miserable in public school 1st grade with a teacher who didn't get giftedness--there were several gifted kids in her class, and all were suddenly having behavior problems for the first time in their lives--and who took away recesses like mad. She had also started trying to buy good behavior with sugary treats and plastic junk. Ugh. DS was bored, sad, and angry. He was not himself. There was no doubt in our mind that something had to be done. Still, it was scary! We had never thought we would homeschool.

The transition was easy-peasy for him. Really, just an immediate improvement. On Day #1 of homeschooling, he was back to his happy, fun, pleasant self. He was so happy not to be in that classroom anymore and to get to learn something for school that he had no real problems adjusting.

I had to take a little time to figure out what level of work he required, and I was VERY clear with him that we had to work as a team because I was new to homeschooling, too, so I needed his help. This worked like a charm. I also like that it makes him largely responsible for his own learning. If he's bored with what we're doing, it isn't my job to fix it; it's his! The good thing about the method we're using (eclectic) is that he CAN do something about it. He's not trapped in a set curriculum that I hand down to him. I love that freedom.

I'm sort of rambling now, but I guess my point is that if your child is on board and you work together to plan lessons, you'll do fine.

Especially with a GT kid, the work itself will be a lot easier than you think it will be. Learning will be easier than you can believe. Expect him to fly through material! Buy less than you think you need because some things that seem perfect won't be. Be ready to adapt. You WILL make mistakes--we all do!--but that can be a good lesson in perfectionism for your son if you handle it well. smile

The big thing I didn't expect was how hard it was on me not to have time to myself. Granted, I'm an introvert, but I'd STRONGLY recommend that you make sure you get time alone. Get a sitter or arrange classes that let you be by yourself. Finding social outings for him was easy for us (find a good local homeschooling group if you can!). But every time he was social, I had to be, too, and it made me cranky and unhappy to spend that much time with people. It took me a while to find solutions because I wasn't self-aware enough to know that this would overtax me. Things are fine now, but I recommend that you know well your own needs and be sure you meet them. Put the oxygen mask on yourself first, or you'll be no good to anyone else!

One last thought: knowing what is the minimum level of progress you're willing to accept is a good plan. My attitude is that I want him operating at least at grade level in everything. Since he's ahead in everything, this is an easy benchmark to hit. But it takes the pressure off. We don't have to push to get way ahead in anything. We are able to follow his interests. It's very relaxed. I think with a smart kid and lots of freedom, it can be hard to know if you're doing enough. My goals are for him not to fall behind in anything ever, to love learning, and to progress. That works for us, and I think it sets him up well for the future.

Most of the time, I'm racing to keep up with him as he dashes off ahead learning way more than I thought he was ready to learn! eek wink

If you have more specific questions, just ask. smile

P.S. The one rough patch we had was at the beginning of this year when I gave him too-easy work in an effort to be sure we had gaps filled in. He was difficult, rebllious, and angry--all the things he had been when he was bored in 1st grade. Duh! I raised the challenge level and things got better immediately. I'm embarrassed about how long it took me to figure out what was wrong though. I think (I hope!) I have now learned my lesson and won't underchallenge him again. Maybe you can learn from my mistake! laugh

Kriston