Last year I attended a free lecture by a psychologist sponsored by UCI. Here is what is in his slides:

Those with IQ's between 115 and 130 or so may need additional accommodations /differentiation in order to stay challenged and engaged in learning.

Examples:
�Within Class Cluster Grouping/Ability Grouping
�Introduction of different levels of depth & complexity within content area/whole group instruction
�See Teaching Gifted Kids in the Regular Classroom �Winebrenner and Espeland
�Some opportunity for Independent Study/Project based instruction/cooperative groups
�Some opportunity for self directed learning (eg: choice within literature circles)
�Outside enrichment in areas of need/interest

Those with IQ's between 130 and 138/145 or so usually need �or benefit from -special programming and/or more intense differentiation/accommodation in order to stay challenged and engage.

Examples (in addition to or in place of previous):
�Between class/grade cluster grouping/ability grouping
�Multi age/combo classes
�Frequent use of higher levels of depth and complexity within content area/whole group instruction
�see Teaching Gifted Kids in the Regular Classroom
�More opportunity for Independent Study/Project based instruction/cooperative groups
�Replacement curriculum
�More opportunity for self directed learning (eg: choice within literature circles)
�Outside enrichment in areas of need/interest
�Outside GATE programming / distance learning to explore areas of interest and access higher level curriculum as needed (eg: Stanford EPGY; John Hopkins CTY)
�Summer Programming (eg: UCI GSA; SIG)

Those with IQ's of 145 (less than one out of 1000) or above almost always need �or benefit from -special programming and/or more intense differentiation /accommodation in order to stay challenged and engaged in learning. These kids
may be good candidates for more unusual or �radical� strategies.

Examples (in addition to or in place of previous):
�More than one year grade skip
�see accelerationinstitute.org/Nation_Deceivedfor research
�Other forms of acceleration �AP classes in high school
�Dual enrollment
�Davidson Young Scholars
�Special Schools (Public Magnet or Private)
�Home Schooling with participation in outside gifted ed programming (eg: Stanford EPGY; John Hopkins CTY; Davidson YS)
�Online Charter School Enrollment (eg: CAVA) with participation in outside gifted ed programming (eg: Stanford EPGY; John Hopkins CTY; Davidson YS)
�Early entrance (eg: CSLA EEP)

I hope this helps you, because I had the same question a year ago and his lecture had help me to understand ds's need.

Cindi