Hi Suzie Q:

I really hope this comes to fruition!

My dream school:

Located in my city in location near train/bus lines. LOL

Admission:
PG in any one area, verbal or math or spatial relations. Free testing, so fewer $ obstacles to admission.
2E kids given appropriate modification/differentiation and services on campus. Achievement testing to determine placement in classes. No age discrimination, but a case-by-case evaluation of when a child could start classes. Entry throughout the school year.

For courses, in addition to what's mentioned above:

Several foreign languages, taught from the earliest grades (ages) on, in an immersing sort of way;

Creative problem solving;

Coping skills, such as how to relax, how to prioritize, organize, tidy, how to study, etc.--- Kids pick the coping skills they'd like to learn about;

Keyboarding; and

Computer science.

Facilities/orientation:

A huge library;

Lots of recess/free play time; and

Sports skills and sports.

Teaching style:
Math:
I like the idea of keeping all math classes at the same time, so kids can sort into a class at the appropriate level with appropriate pacing. Classes that teach problem solving at each level of math.
Reading/literature:
For the early grades, a literature-based system that doesn't hold kids back and gives them a chance to talk with others about the books they have read.
Mix of assignments that allow students to process the material they are learning, instead of just regurgitate.
All classes: Fast pace, with lots of information for my knowledge sponge!

Lots of flexibility in learning -- mix of classroom, lab, real life, reading and independent study.

Every student learns the basics but has a chance to delve into one or more subjects in greater depth. For example, three-hour block of time each week to independently study what you like, whatever it is. Student doesn't have to choose or commit to a topic in advance and can move on to something else as his/her interests change. Doesn't have to produce any thing from it, but can make presentation or product related to study to show his/her cohort.

Real feedback on work done -- right now DS just gets a check on work. Encouragement to take risks and try to learn something that doesn't come easily.

Connection to a local university for more advanced, college-level classes for students at higher levels.

GL with your endeavor.

bk1