Questions - coming late to the party, but my DS7 in first grade is not grade skipped in any way.

This is what we get in terms of "acceleration". His teacher does have 3rd grade spelling words for kid's that pass the pre-test (which are still too easy). She also has a math challenge group for 5 kids, but they can't do it until they complete the regular 1st grade work. We do have a parent volunteer who does 2nd grade Jr. Great Books w/6 kids in the class who are reading at or above 2nd grade level (again, well below DS's reading level and only every other week). His teacher was going to have him do an independant book study, and she completely has dropped the ball on that. But all that said, I would say he averages less than 1 hour a week of work that is remotely challenging.

So I'm feeling like you. We need a change. I'm sure we're going to finish out this year. On the up side, my son is very social and has become the classroom playground director. But after the holidays we are going to need to get serious about deciding what our options are for next year.

Our district has a gifted magnet from 1 to 8. They test all kindergarteners w/the NNAT, which DS thought was great fun and hit the ceiling on part of the test. So we applied, but did not get in because it is a pure lottery system. So it does not matter if you're a 92nd PR kid or a 99 PR kid - they're all treated the same. I'm going to start making calls to see if there is any back door entry for one. I think it would be hard to get our principal to make a call for DS to the magnet admin. Our school "hates" the magnet because they "steal" all their high test scorers. It's very political. I feel like I can't even bring up the magnet within 100 yards of the school.