CFK, exactly! I have two big problems with DS's public school. 1) They have his scores, but don't see the forest for the trees. I was told he needed "support" for math b/c he didn't know their everyday math system (which adds 2-3 steps to simply knowing the answer), but the day before on his homework he was supposed to show defintions of math "names" (weird, but whatever...). He chose 100 and wrote 1000-900, 10x10, 20 + 30 + 50, etc. And in class they were still doing addition sums to 20. How can that be? And they don't read everyday. (I had a prior post on that one, since confirmed, unfortunately.) I was told that gifted children are classified in our state as an at risk population, but that they don't have to do anything special for them.

And 2), the in-class discipline system terrorizes DS, even though it's rare for it to be directed at him. If a classmate forgets to put his lunch away when he gets to school, why does he get a consequence? Why don't they just say, you forgot to put your lunch away? Even the reward system can make him feel "stupid" if he doesn't finish his work as quickly as others in the class. I can understand if they are trying to encourage kids to work diligently and not fool around, but the system backfires for those who are trying their best. Oh, and I agree about lunch - they don't eat until 1:30, and often he comes home without having eaten at all, because he "didn't have time." And I pack lunch... And we're also in a very highly regarded school district.

And I absolutely agree with you re: your homework point on another post. In first grade, he started out with over an hour of homework a night (it took him close to an hour and a half) until the parents revolted. At least his current homework is quick and easy - but what's the point?

I think I'll take your suggestion and try to volunteer in class to see what's really going on. I knew a lot last year because I heard from other parents and was in the school from time to time. Here, I don't know the other parents and hear very little from my son.

So thanks for the good advice. It really helps me think things through. And it occurs to me that I haven't looked for a gifted school in a neighboring state - if the commute's not too bad, I suppose we could consider it.

Tammy - I am so thrilled for your DD! And jealous, too!