I asked him about some of the math problems he wasn't able to solve, and he said something about an equation involving a fraction where the denominator was something like x minus the infinity symbol and the numerator was a super-complicated thing with tons of square roots, Greek letters, and so on. He knew right away that he wouldn't be able to solve it. He said the tester said that it was calculus, but without seeing the problem myself I would have no idea (and neither would my son - he's done Alg I and part of Alg II, but no high school Geometry, Trig, or any Calc). He did say that there was a fair number of basic geometry problems, but he remembered those from the geometry stuff he learned in Alg I and before (simple formulas, not proofs as far as he told me).

I don't know anything about the predetermined start/stop points for reading comp and writing - I think I'd almost have to have been in the room to get a feel for that kind of thing. I know that he said the easiest writing prompts were "VERY VERY easy" and the hardest ones were also "VERY easy." He gave me examples but I don't think I am supposed to tell others about them since this is a static test. Let's hope that his score reflects that blase, confident attitude. wink He said nothing about reading comp - I'll have to ask him tomorrow. He said the reading/phonics and spelling portions were basically the same as the earlier version of the test that he took two years ago, just with some different words.

His favorite part of the test was, predictably, the fake word list that had to be read aloud. smile

Dottie - will DEF ask for a full report. Did you get one? The guy said he'd call me tomorrow but I didn't know he would be giving me a copy of the report. Do I need to ask specially for that? I have no idea what the district is/isn't obligated to provide to parents.

Last edited by czechdrum; 12/14/09 07:32 PM.