My kid, newly 10, is a DYS and in educational flux. Homeschooled until this year, then in private school for three months, private school failed to keep 99% of their promises to accommodate his academic needs, so we just pulled him out to homeschool again--temporarily. We live in a state with legally mandated gifted protection (GIEPs), and our son is in the eval period for our local district. Our intention is to get a workable GIEP and then enroll him in public school. I was told that they will be giving him the SB-V and the newest WISC and probably other tests as part of the eval period.

Testing background: he took the WISC and WIAT two years ago at age 7-turning-8. Ceiling'd out some of the subtests on the WISC and got 160s in math and reading for the WIAT. Some folks here "know" me and know my kid's raw scores (waving to Dottie) so you know his background and what we're dealing with. He's a chronological 4th grader who can do work on the 8th-10th grade level in most subjects and has a decent track level of this. However, due to the failure of the private school to provide the education they promised, he's spent the last three months spinning his wheels, mentally.

So...I need a quick and dirty summary of the SB-V, especially for older kids. Is there anything about this test that is surprising? Any concerns we should voice to the tester, who is a school psychologist based at the elementary school? Our son walked into the WISC and neither one of us really knew what it would be like, and he did great. But I know that age 10 is not the ideal age for IQ testing, and the SB-V is a different animal, andandand. The school psych DOES have a copy of our son's full report from the late 2007 WISC/WIAT testing.

Also, I didn't know that the WIAT was updated since late 2007. Any major changes in this test with the new iteration?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I want to at least give our son an idea of what is coming (not coaching or whatever, but just "this is like what you did before" or "this will be very different, like ____________" etc.).