Originally Posted by TwinkleToes
It is amazing that decent schools would take me after all that, but my scores were so high, my writing strong, and teachers said things like "she has the most ability I have encountered in 30 years" (not bragging. I am actually mystified by that statement and imagine they are talking about someone else)so they let me in and it was easy even though I had basically skipped high school completely.

TwinkleToes,

Brag away! Really ... you will find that this is a place you can do so. I, personally, think you have an interesting story and love reading it. I also think you might feel a little attacked but I certainly was not trying to attack you ... at all! What I saw from your original post was a mother who is questioning if she really needs to advocate for her child since her parents didn't. We can't tell you the answer. But we can give examples of why it would be wise and how school of today is not school of when we grew up and research has come along way since we were children. SI was not even a diagnoses 15 years ago ... okay, technically still not but the word is out and parents of gifted children are more aware of sensory issues. My best friend's DD 15 yr old is PG and has serious problems right now. She is a DC with SI but it took her mother researching her symptoms to stumble across it. When she took it to the doctors they concluded she had it. What if my friend didn't happen on it? Scary thoughts. It doesn't change the fact that her DD is headed towards dropping out. They are now talking about therapeutic boarding school. Because yes her DD could get her GED with no problems but would fail miserably if she went on to community college b/c she has such anxiety and depression. And then we go back to my DD who is only 3... maybe I have been over exposed to the possibilities but I stress out about my DD's anxiety and underachieving.

But to shine the light back on you... you have a story that clearly shows problems with education but you are one, more fitting into the category of happy endings. You might disagree with that statement, but a Harvard degree is impressive.