Originally Posted by TwinkleToes
I think things could have been better for me in school--I even dropped out of high school--but because the raw ability was there I will still able to go to the schools I selected and my lowest grade was an A- so even if my DD3 doesn't get special services etc. things may be just fine for her academically /socially;-)

Having the raw ability doesn't always mean a person will know how to fully utilize it. Looking back, I probably could have fallen into a 'gifted' category in school. There were no options for early graduation, despite taking AP classes, and having far more than enough credits to graduate. I was so tired of school, that my senior year I took the class that enabled me to leave early to go to work, just so I could get out of school (and not have to provide a note from my 'parents' grin)

I tried college, but hated it. I was ill-prepared, wasn't adept at actually studying, and wasn't really motivated to do even more schooling. Fortunately, I got in on the ground floor of a great job that I was able to really grow into - with hard work and no degree. I ended up working alongside and even leading some degreed folks. It was something I enjoyed and something that came naturally, so higher education wasn't an absolute necessity for me.

All that being said, I realize how truly fortunate I was that things fell into place, but I wouldn't wish it for my son. I want better for him - and by better, I mean helping him to realize that learning doesn't have to be miserable. (I love to learn, I just hate school.) Things may be just fine for my DS, only time will tell. However, if my situation is any indicator (and DS seems to have some of the same feelings about school that I now realize I did), it doesn't look good for him. I'm not so worried about him being in a great GT program as I am about making sure that the spark isn't extinguished.

I do understand what you're saying and I'm sure it's accurate for alot of people, but there may be just as many for which it won't prove true. Just my thoughts.