Originally Posted by onthegomom
Dandy - I'm curious about what you wrote because I'm not saying the kids are not willing to learn Math Facts.
I truthfully didn't think it was a matter of willingness... just that they hadn't learned them, or at least weren't using them in the manner desired by the teacher. (Esp. regarding multiplication.)

My son learned his math facts early on, but on occasion, he still lapses into the most convoluted approach to multiplication imaginable. Yes, he'll ultimately get the right answer, but the "strategy" he employs will crumble when the math gets more complicated.

I am seeing both kids figuring out math ahead of schooling, without my prompting, using their own creative methods and it gives them the right answer.
I suspect that the teachers have seen every creative approach under the sun... but that they have concerns (hopefully based on experience) that the approaches used are not the most efficient or perhaps not the most accurate.

I do think it will be an ongoing issue where my kids want to be ahead of what school is teaching. (Maybe this is insight into the need for acceleration.)
I agree that their independent pushing ahead is a sign that acceleration should be considered. But I think acceleration will be a hard sell if the teacher isn't satisfied with what your child is doing currently.

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz