Could some one give me their opinion on the following note. Do you think this is ok?

Last year, the gifted teacher said, DS is doing 4 digit + & - Math in a way that she has never seen before but he is getting the right answer. I feel compelled to send this note because during an IEP meeting, school indicated My DS is not doing his 4 digit + & - Math the quick way and is having some trouble with Multiplication. I think they thought my husband's Math teaching is making school Math more confusing. They are contributing his Multiplication issue to not being developmentally ready for it, but I don't understand that. He did a whole sheet of Multiplication correct. It's touchy with school right now and I want to work with them.

They don't want to feel like I'm supervising. I feel like I would like the gifted teacher to be aware of this and work with the situation. I'm not sure if she knows this already. It feels important. I also think this will be a reoccurring theme with my kids at school. I'm making sure I don't email anyone at school more than once a week. I do see she gets lots of gifted stuff that works with my son but I don't want to be insulting. She has been the least defensive of everyone at school. I am trying to learn the line between necessary and annoying. please help if you can. Should I not send this?

Dear Gifted teacher,

Please forgive me if the following is common knowledge for you.

I am seeing both kids figuring out math ahead of schooling, without my prompting, using their own creative methods and it gives them the right answer.

I am handling it this way. There is more than one way to do Math and that's wonderful thinking. They need to keep in mind, sometimes they need to do it the school way.

ex. 9+5=

5+5=10, so then 4 + 10 = 14

At first, I thought she was being uncooperative because she didn't want to do Math Facts, until I realized she complicates the math to make it more interesting. She was sliding over domino dots in her mind. I think this is good because she is learning on a more in depth level, compared to memorizing, all is self motivated. She is doing fine with her Math facts at school. I would not want to hinder creative thinking. I'm thinking this will be a reoccurring theme with both children.

Last edited by onthegomom; 11/11/09 08:15 AM.