Originally Posted by onthegomom
she would take simple work and make it more interesting to increase the challenge. I would consider that a coping ability.
I agree that this is a coping ability, and something to be appreciated, but I would check very carefully to be sure she is correctly placed. Has she been tested? Very often younger sisters are just as 'out there' as their older brothers, but because they are better at coping and blending, they are overlooked. We parents just breath a sign of relief because they aren't going do the path of the first born. But I think that girls are more vulnerable to 'getting addicted' to being totally in charge and in control. Learning to face difficut challenges is a skill that is slowly aquired over time, and perhaps a change in curriculum would be needed to get her feeling like she can relax and 'not have to be perfec' all the time. I'm thinking that her response to the 'math facts' might be a sign that she is already 'addicted' to learning new things quickly and without effort. Some of us have our whole self image around being 'the best' in the room, and when we are faced with a type of activity that just plain requires practice, our whole world falls apart - because then - who are we?

Just some thoughts. Say more - has she been tested? Have you talked to the teachers?

Smiles,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com