Also in the dark ages, I had all I needed to graduate from high school except one year of English and one year of Gym class. The high school canceled all of the AP classes. Thus, I enrolled in the local state university on the basis of great 11th grade SAT scores and showed up only enough to fulfill the requirements for the two classes. First semester, I took French advanced grammar and composition, introductory Biology, and second semester calculus. Second semester, I took an advanced French literature course conducted entirely in French, with fellow students who were seniors or graduate students. I took Microbiology with juniors and seniors, and third semester calculus.

The following year, I went away to Harvard, which gave me no credit for any of my previous college courses, and where I had to argue for appropriate placement. The French department adviser wanted me to take a 4th semester language course,so in fluent French, I told her it would be useless - and I never took any more French classes. I talked my way, over the adviser's objections, into fourth semester calculus. I took a more advanced general biology class, and advanced general Chemistry and Physics there. Thus it was an advantage in the end, even without credit.

My daughter is 11 now and two years ago in 5th grade her ACT composite score was 19. She may start her first college course when she is in 9th grade. We will have to look at our options at that time.