Originally Posted by Cathy A
You know, I am "Aspergery" too. And that's not just a self-diagnosis.

A diagnosis of Asperger's doesn't mean there is something wrong with your son. He will still be the same kid he was before, but the label will help others understand him better and help him develop to his full potential. And I think a lot of amazing strengths can come with this kind of brain!

Getting help is defending him. I think knowing and having ways to help would have spared me and my family a lot pain when I was growing up.

Me too! (Waving hand in the air.) First let me share my favorite article in trying to explain AS and giftedness. If you haven't already come across it then I highly recommend it http://www.cec.sped.org/AM/Template...CM/ContentDisplay.cfm&CONTENTID=4171

My DD9 has an AS diagnosis, it is questioned in one of my twins. Some days you are sure that is it, no question, others you wonder. I think getting help is the best thing that you can do for your child. It is painful to watch my DD going through some of the same experiences I had as a child. Back then it was blamed on my upbringing and the loss of my mother, after a life long illness, when I was ten. Looking back I could easily have fit the diagnosis. It doesn't seem to matter so much as an adult, I have adapted. Only relating to adults isn't so odd when you are an adult. smile

Sending many <<<hugs>>> your way.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader