DS6 came home from school today and had as assignment that he completed in class. (We're hoping that the teacher saw it). For the very, very simple addition (you have 5 apples and you get 2 more apples) he solved the problem, showed his work, and his "variables". Yeah he treated them like algebra problems laugh

Then tonight right before bedtime he was doing that Singapore math pre-test again. There was a long division problem like 248 divided by four. His approach: he knew that 12 x 4 = 48 (he knows his times table) so he was adding up 48s over and over again until he got past 248. Then he took his result (I think he got 5) and of course multiplied that by 4. In the end he didn't get it quite right, but I'm saving that to show his teacher! If he had known the mechanics of long division, he'd have solved that problem. He was creatively finding a way to sum up 4s to get the answer!

Today at school was both good and bad... I'll post the interesting story in a new thread as to not hijack this one.

JB