Originally Posted by Mama22Gs
So far, I've thought of the following:
Math: EPGY Math programs (or maybe Aleks?) or the computer-based Extend and Challenge Activities that Saxon offers (the school uses Saxon math).

How can I find out about the computer-based Extend and Challenge Activities that Saxon offers?

My DS9,3rd grade plan for this year using saxon Math
He is staying with class - so avoids isolation, He is getting more challenging work - 5th grade Math with help if he needs it, gets to work at his pace and he gets to do extra workbooks he loves with someone to check and explain methods if needed. I think if he went up a grade or 2 for Math he would still need to work faster than the class. So why go there? He reads and calculates faster than his "non-Mathie Mom" The only part I question is listening to 5 mins. of instruction of 3 Math before he does his page. They want him to do this so he knows everything for the IOWA test.

If you skip grades in Math watch for wholes in education I hear alot of Math is repeating concepts they just get harder. Ex. Single digit addition advances to two digit. It has been suggested that an explore test could let me know exactly what my child does or does not know in math. I'm not ready to pursue that just yet.

We also tried an online course this summer to see if he could bring this into the school. At this point maturity issues would make this too high maintenance for teachers. I think in the future, DS would benefit from accelerating in the math to his hearts content with an online course if there is a teacher with the course.

Best of luck. let me know how it goes.

Last edited by onthegomom; 09/01/09 09:25 AM.