Originally Posted by renie1
I am frantic about kindergarden, fearing it will be a huge failure.

irene

What are you specifically worried about? Did your worry stem from your daughter's actual comments about K or from your concerns based on her needs/behavior? Is there a chance she is picking up emotions from you?
I have been in the situation where people think it is all a big picnic to have a gifted kid and have not only no sympathy but actual hostility towards any frustration of mine over how to get their needs met. And yes, if a child has what is viewed as a disability the sympathy is readily found.
Now, as for practical advice. I seriously and with great difficulty gave up trying to choose clothes for my daughter. She has some sensory issues along with an artist's need for individual expression. Some days she looks adorable in what she chooses and some days she looks like she shopped at Good Will with a blindfold on. BUT, it makes a difference in her compliance and ability to tolerate the outside world during the day. This is a girl who attended a catholic school with a strict dress code. When wearing what was expected her behavior was so bad they suggested I take her for counseling. When I asked them if we could just see what affect letting her wear clothes of her choice would make they were astounded at the improvement. And I mean a complete turnaround on the first day she wore what she wished..not a slow process.
After three boys you have to imagine it killed me not to "dress up" my little girl. I still stare wistfully at all the cute little things in the store but I would rather have a happy secure feeling girl.
I realize that this only addresses the not-central issue of clothes.
As for K? Maybe just try to be neutral. Since she is HG she will see right through your attempt to "talk it up" since you are experiencing anxiety. What about simply saying that both of you should reserve judgement until after one month of school. That for her (or you) to expect the very best or very worst is not realistic and you will both have to see just exactly what K is like and take things as they come.
Hope some/any of this helped.