A STAR test is for AR. It determines a range of levels that the child should be reading between. For example, if they test at 5.0 level then they should read books between 4.5 and 5.5 (or something similar). Our school usually it only for points also and if you make your goal you get to do something special like an ice cream party or some such fun thing. It refers to the reading difficulty level and the content does not have to match the reading level. I found this out the hard way!

Several parents from my kid's school and I have been talking about the appropriateness of the higher level books for the younger children. When DS9 was in 2nd grade I let him read the Alex Rider series. He brought it home from the school library and loved the books and it was only on about a 5th or 6th grade level so I assumed it couldn't be too bad. After he had read the entire series we went to the book store to get the newest one. I couldn't find it any where in the junior and intermediate level books. I asked about it and was told it was in teen fiction!!!! I was a bit upset and wondered what on earth I'd been letting the child read! That is when I found out it was all about kidnappings and murders and blowing up the world, etc. Now I am more protective than lots of people about what their children read or watch but I did feel that this was a bit much for an 7 year old. But the damage was done and I can't honestly say that it hurt him.

So I've been wondering how do you find age appropriate content for higher level readers? I wonder if there are websites out there that give this information. I'd love to know if anyone out there knows of anyway to find out this type of information!