Hi all,

I don't read most of DD7's books either. Lately I have been grabbing Battle of the Books choices a several grade levels up and letting her choose from those. I have already provided her with every violence and sex free classic I can think of that I feel she will enjoy. I'm kind of betting on the idea that the books they choose for school competitions are violence and sex free, but maybe I am wrong.

I couldn't possibly read all the books she does and also do all the other "stuff" from toilet scrubber to educational advocator and still have any shadow of a "real adult life".

Although, my husband did let her get a "graphic novel"(Puh-lease, it's a comic book) from the juvenile section and there was some overt references to sex on the second page.

My DD was reasonable enough to hand it back to him with a sad shaking of her head to indicate he was kind of clueless.

Really, we all have to give ourselves a break. I'm not going to puposely give her something to read that contains subject matter that is inappropriate. On the other hand, we all know some kids are just voracious readers and it's hard to keep up with all they are exposed to.

I'm glad right now the lines of communication are very much open with my child and hope that doesn't change drastically as she approaches the tween and teenage years.

This is a good question, though, I am very interested to read everyone's thoughts.