Hi Junior:
We didn't do early K but actually skipped K and went to first grade with our now 2nd grade son. I am very happy that we did this when we did, before he got established with the K class and then had to skip a grade later. For him, we knew that bonding with one group and then moving to another might be a problem and after testing we agreed that if not now then sometime soon he would need a grade skip. He is now 2nd grade but with 3rd grade math (he'll be 7 in March). He just recently told us that he wishes he could stay in 3rd grade all day!

I've read that Dr. Ruf typically recommends that all kids attend K and then advocates a skip to 2nd grade if needed, but I'm not sure that you can make a blanket statement that all kids should attend a K program. Ours was in a highly structured preschool/daycare setting where he was basically doing K work. So for him, K would have been repeating a grade. Dr. Ruf's caveat is that many K teachers won't take a 4 year old seriously. I can see her point there.

I live outside the Chicago area and while we ultimately decided to drive west to Univ. of Iowa for our son's testing I did speak a couple of times with Elizabeth Mika in Gurnee. She seemed great and we almost took him there for testing prior to entering school. You could try her and see if you like what she has to offer: 847-543-9550 She is the only psychologist listed in IL on the Hoagie's page, for what that's worth.

Our son also attends the Northwestern CTD classes and just loves them. They start at the age of 4 and are offered as Saturday classes during the school year and then also have a summer program during the week. You might want to check it out as a way for your little guy to find some peers.
Hope that info helps. Good luck!