Yes, it's the self-correcting MAP test. The principal was ridiculously excited about it; I think this is one of the first years they've used it. I'm really interested to see how he does. They refused to give him the MAP reading test early, which I thought was kind of odd; she said that it wouldn't make a difference in his placement since they already did the DRA. Not sure I believe that, but we can wait the month; if he's able to go for math and does well, I hope they'll let him try reading, too.

Actually, after speaking with the principal, I'm fairly impressed with the differentiation that goes on in the school as a whole. They do individualized reading groups, up to seven in a class, which I think is fabulous. They are also, it seemed, quite willing to pull a kindergartner to first grade math (although she said it was "not uncommon," which makes me wonder how challenging the first grade math will really be).

Anyway, yes, Benjy would be put with the strongest readers in the first grade class. Trouble is, since his DRA score wasn't very high (I mean it was, but not for him), there might not really be a higher reading group in first grade, depending on the kids. Or at least that was what it sounded like to me, from what the principal was saying; he'd be in the same level group as if he were in K, just with older kids. I suggested that, if the math pullout worked well, he also do reading with the older kids, to see how he'd do with that. The principal seemed at least receptive to that.

They just seem to be very strong proponents of the "keep the kids with their age group" philosophy; but all the research I've read suggests that this is *not* the best for most EG/PG children and that they are actually happier with the older children. I don't know how to point this out without sounding like a big giant know-it-all, which I'm most certainly not. I will check out the educator's guild, thanks!

The other thing was that the K teacher and the principal kept talking about the other "strong reader" in Benjy's class. We know this child; his mother, while volunteering in the classroom, figured out that Benjy could read and struck up a friendship with us. We've gone over for playdates for the kids (they're good buddies) and discussion for us about the school situation, so I know what's going on with this kid. And I know that he's bright (memorizes maps for fun), with some *major* sensitivities going on. But he's just not on the same level as Benjy. He's reading, according to his mom, reading on a first or second grade level. They'll get the same math enrichment sheets (some pattern drawing, some word problems like, "If you had 16 cookies and you gave 7 to a friend, how many would you have left?", etc.). Benjy got them all right; the other little boy didn't get them because, his mom said, "The teacher didn't teach it, she just gave them sheet."

As I say, the other little guy is certainly very bright. He's just not where Benj is. So I wish the teacher would stop pretending that they have "many" children like this!

Benjamin is a May birthday, so he's on the younger side (September cut off), but no early entrance. I know that his school *does* do early entrance; there is a child in Benjy's class who just turned 5 a few weeks a go. He was in Montessori Early Childhood for the year before he started at his public school.

I'm sending his DYS application off today or tomorrow ... I've got my fingers crossed. It sounds so helpful.

Mia

Last edited by Mia; 11/28/07 08:58 AM.

Mia