shellymos - we're lucky because while they will assess DS a few weeks after school starts, we already know he will be getting subject acceleration in reading and math. So far, the school has been extremely supportive in working with us. In fact, they wanted to meet our son now so they could figure out a program for him before the start of next year. We went in for a reading assessment yesterday, and we were told that he would be "grouped" in a group of one - namely one-on-one for reading at this point (they were a bit leery of putting him in with the older kids only because they don't know him and were not sure emotionally/socially how he will fit in). He goes for his math assessment on Monday, and we'll find out more about his placement in math after that. Should be interesting, because like your son, math is his strong suit. I have a feeling he'll be a "group of one" in that subject too - lol. It sort of scares me because even if he is advanced to first, he is still way ahead in reading/math, but at least this is a start and the school is really trying to challenge him academically, for which I am extremely grateful. DS came out of the reading assessment yesterday in the greatest of moods, kept talking all day about how much fun he had there, and is now looking forward to going to school there. Haven't heard that he is looking forward to going to school in the longest time. Like you and crisc, we experienced some big behavior problems in school this past year, and we are hoping that the academic challenges that they will try to give him will be enough. Like I said, it's just a start, as I realize we will have to be constantly assessing and tweaking his education plan. Very best of luck to you! Keep us posted!