So DS will be skipping K and going to first. I realize what a big thing K is in society and how strange this whole thing is going to be. Everytime someone asks his age, the almost always follow it with "wow, you are going to K this fall!" To which he replies "no, I am going to first grade" Usually people kind of say "oh wow" and then give me a look and drop it. But sometimes people just don't get it. He had a dentist appointment this week and the dental assistant just wouldn't let it go. She kept asking him questions "why are you skipping K?" and "are you in K now?" "so you are in pre-k and going to first...what aobout K?" It was so annoying to me. I just simply said "he is in pre-k and going to first because it's a better fit for him" Then we had a talk about it in the car. I had explained to him before that some kids go to K and some go straight to first. I realized that I had to explain to him that most kids go to K and that is why people are surprised when he is going to first. Anyhow, anyone else going through this? Any other suggestions with talking to others about it or talking to your children about it?