I'd be chicken to go complete unschooling too. But the work I "require" that keeps us at grade level really rarely takes more than an hour or two altogether. That does leave a lot of time for field trips, creative free play, and independent learning of his choice.

I heard one unschooling mom speak at an unschooling event. Her philosophy was one that didn't necessarily lead her kids down a path towards college. She really let them take the lead entirely from day 1. I cannot do that. I strongly feel my kids are definitely going to college and I feel they need to be prepared to do that successfully. One of her kids did go on to college (I got the feeling he was quite GT, because he read spontaneously early). The other one did not go to college. I do think there is a lot of middle ground between doing say a very structured classical homeschool curriculum and completely unschooling. Like right now we are doing a chemistry curriculum. But my 8 year old chose chemistry as the next science he wanted to pursue.