I'm currently homeschooling my DS7, we pulled him from K last spring (I also have a DS5 who is going to K in the fall and a DD2.5 who is just along for the ride). For us, none of the pre-packaged home school methods or curricula works. We pull a little from here, a little from there and use what works and makes sense for us. We're truly eclectic! I would say read up on the different styles and use what you think would work for your son and your family, and ignore what doesn't seem to fit. Most of the methods have some really good aspects and some parts that would never work in our family. One of the benefits of homeschooling is that you don't have to follow someone else's idea of how your kid *should* learn. You can tailor things to how he *actually* learns.

A wonderful book I got when we first started homeschooling was Creative Homeschooling by Lisa Rivero. It is written specifically for GT kids and she talks extensively about the different methods and what kind of kid they work for and what their drawbacks are.

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Home...mp;s=books&qid=1241266998&sr=8-1

ETA: I should also say that the first year is really more about learning how to learn together than it is about achieving any particular academic knowledge. Take the time to really get to know how your DS learns and how you guys actually function as homeschoolers. Our first year was *rough* and I think it was because I assumed I knew how we would work together and made plans based on those (false) assumptions. The homeschooling we're doing now works wonderfully for us, but it looks absolutely nothing like I expected it to when we first started.

Last edited by mamaandmore; 05/02/09 06:00 AM.