That's the problem with the type of mindset that says children know what they want to learn and that's what they should do--there are a lot of things that make up a good education that we don't necessarily "want to learn". I'm sure that I personally could be considered "ready" to learn lots of things that I don't have the interest or the discipline to sit down and learn--and even knowing that, I still don't bother to learn a lot of things that I would like to know! A 5yo child cannot be expected to take the reins and drive her own education competently, and they should not put that kind of pressure on her or expect anything good to result.

That said, it is entirely possible that she could come up with the initiative to do well with this program by next year--kids do change a lot in short periods of time. I think that the school does in fact believe that their system works, they are not trying to doublethink you--but that doesn't mean that it really does work at all, or will work with your child. Schools are notorious for blindly following whatever dogma has come down the pike most recently and convincing themselves that it's the best thing since sliced bread and will solve all the problems of the world--until the next thing comes along to contradict it, and then they believe that instead with no thought for what they said last year.

What should you do? Heck, I don't know! smile I believe in getting an education in spite of the school, not because of it!