The "let kids be kids" argument really annoys me. It's more about the narrow world-view of the speaker than anything else.
Like your kid can't spend some time reading instead of watching TV? My kids spent three hours running around a carnival today. This did not get in the way of reading a book or vice versa.

The people who need to hear the "let them be kids" message are the ones who push their kids in sports and other competitive things, not parents of little kids who like to read.

Okay, RANT OFF.

Here's my suggested answer to this statement if it comes up again. Try to affect a really confused doe-eyed look. Then say, very innocently, "But she loves to read (or learn, or whatever). Wanting to learn just seems to be a part of who she is. <Insert example, such as "Sometimes in the morning, she wakes up, picks up a book, and reads to herself.> Are you saying I shouldn't let her be herself?"

Then stay quiet and let the person answer. What you hear will tell you more about them than anything, and may help you figure out what to do.

Cheers,

Val