Trinity:

It is truly a bizarre situation because as far as I can tell, it is just about the books. I honestly don't care if they accelerate him--just want him challenged with the material. I am perfectly happy if he stays in first grade if the resources are adequate. He is, after all, pretty much a homeschool kid right now.

And the conversation was weird...like she was digging in her heels and didn't want to hear anything else from me.

I asked her at one point if she would make a third grader start with the first grade curriculum.
Answer: no, of course not.
Me: Then why make my son start there, since he is capable of so much more already and WANTS to do more.
Answer: but he IS in first grade.
Me: If that is a problem, let's accelerate him. Answer: NO. Not until he completes the first grade curriculum.
Me: Why?
Answer: Because that is what we do.
Me: Why can't we be more flexible and adapt just a bit? We are just talking about the books, you know. Calvert actually encourages parents to mix and match a bit and they even use their own placement tests to determine what books to order.
Answer: Because that is not what we do.
ME: Why is that not "what we do"? Isn't there another answer that is possible here?
answer: You can't expect us to take your word for it, can you?
Me: No, of course not--let's assess his current skill level, give him a test or two. I would be happy to take him out there to the unit so someone else can administer any placement or skill test you would like...
Answer: No. Not until he completes the first grade curriculum.
Me: What if I just have him demonstrate by taking the tests that he has been there and has seen the waterfall? Would that work for you?
Answer: No. That is not what we do.
Me: Then it would appear I need to speak with a few other people, because that is not even a compromise and what you are suggesting is absolutely insufficient and unacceptable.

It was like talking to a robot from a 50s B movie and it was all I could do just to keep my cool.

It was as if through the whole conversation, she was drawing a line in the sand and telling me that she was unwilling to help. When I suggested that I should just request a GIEP and get it over with, she said, "well, you know those can take a long time too..." (in a sinister tone to suggest she intends to take even longer than necessary) and besides, we would NEVER consider accelerating a child more than one grade level and told me that if I didn't like any part of this, I could go forth and homeschool my child.

This is the same thing we were going through with his previous school except in this case it is...more blatantly rigid and I would suggest lazy.

I really can't afford much in the way of a lawyer, unfortunately. My husband is only a neuroscience post doc and that hardly pays much. wink On top of having a mortgage to nurse, I have health problems and another kid too (who will probably be leading me through a similar merry dance in about 3-4 years).

I may just contact a congressman (and a newsguy or two that I know) if I don't start getting movement.

They haven't really even seen any work from him yet. There has been no assessment. There has been no effort at all on their part.

But when I add up the cost to the state.

use of a laptop computer and a brand new inkjet scanner/printer...
staff/teachers...
textbooks that have not been used...
they are paying my internet bill
free tech support...

All of this starts to really reek to me.

Anyway...sorry about the ranting (Ha--can ya tell I'm still P.O.'d??)

It isn't just me, is it?...this is...nuttso, right? Calvert (the company from which they ordered the books) has a standing policy of encouraging parents to mix and match to suit the kid. They are willing to accept the return of the books for exchange.

I have a call out to the principal and one to the counselor (to request the GIEP).

I will let you know what happens on Monday, if anything.